Q: What is the difference between UV cured coatings and conventional coatings?
A: UV cured material requires the use of ultraviolet energy to instantly dry and cure the material. As the UV light hits the coating, the photo-initiators react and cause each molecule to connect. This results in no solvents flashing off and the Wet Mil Thickness (WMT) will be the same as the Dry Mil Thickness (DMT). 100% Solid UV Coating: 1600sqft/gal @ 1 mil WMT/DMT Conventional material requires an extended period of time to flash off solvents for a complete cure. The majority of finishing products used are between 28%-30% solid content which causes a HUGE decrease in Dry Mil Thickness and overall coverage per gallon. 30% Solid Conventional Coating: requires 3.3 WMT to achieve 1 DMT.
Advantages over solvent based or dual cure coating finishes:
- No mixing and ready to use right out of the container
- Less Shrinkage and 3 times More Coverage per gallon
- UV Coating Dries instantly with no wait time
- Buffing in 1/3 of the time for a lustrous shine and less heat build up
- Superior Scratch Resistance and Chemical Resistance
- No solvent smells and can ship cheaper than flammable type finishes
- 100% Solids – NO VOC’s, Green Technology
- Perfect Balance of Performance and Environmental Sustainability – These products conform to the requirements of the South Coast Air Quality Management District (SCAQMD), Greenseal and LEED.
Q: Do UV Coatings have better scratch resistance than non UV dried materials?
A: Yes! One of the primary advantages of UV cured coatings is that the scratch resistance and overall durability is much greater than conventional/solvent based materials. As the UV light hits the coating, the photo-initiators react and cause each molecule to connect. Thus, the product becomes more scratch resistant (4H), chemically resistant, retains flexibility, and maintains a more stable product lifespan.
Q: What are the benefits of UV Curable Hardwood Floor Refinishing and Pre-finishing?
A: The successful use of ultraviolet (UV) light is used to cure the exceptionally durable finishes on wood products quickly; all the while increasing production and reducing floor space. Our customers say that they increased production by more than 75%.
- NO Solvent smells or VOC’s
- Instant dry, reduced applications, and labor
- Finish, Stack, and Ship in the same day
- Less chance for error
- 100% Solids – No Mixing, Less Shrinkage, and 3 times More Coverage/Gallon
- 2-3 times more chemical and scratch resistant
Passed 48 hour Chemical Resistant Test to things like:
- Red Wine
- Sharpie Pens
- Denatured Alcohol
For more information, contact a UV Technology and Coating Specialist at (561) 243-8442. Get your project finished in hours, not days.